From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 06:30:07
1 On Monday, August 22, 2011 11:09:02 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 22.08.2011 20:29, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
3 > > update: edited the example in the gentoo-wiki now.
4 >
5 > replying to myself once more, which makes it feel more like a wiki or
6 > blog than a mailing-list ;-)
7
8 There wasn't much to add. You provided a solution and the only reply I could
9 come up with "Well done" would sound condescending. Which is why I decided not
10 to.
11
12 > additional thoughts:
13 >
14 > * as there is readahead-support in systemd I assume I could get rid of
15 > preload:
16 >
17 > http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-apps/preload?arches=all
18 >
19 > As it isn't maintained actively anymore it maybe isn't of much use
20 > anymore anyway?
21
22 I don't tend to use preload. Is it usefull in a non-systemd environment?
23
24 > As there is no related service-file for preload here, it is deactivated
25 > for now anyway (as long as I choose the systemd-using GRUB-line).
26 >
27 > * remember those cgroup-hacks back then?
28 >
29 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Improve_responsiveness_with_cgroups
30 >
31 > Is that stuff still valid?
32
33 Maybe, if you want to group stuff you're running yourself into seperate
34 groups. The different services are grouped already.
35
36 > With systemd the whole use of cgroups changes fundamentally, I don't
37 > have the knowledge to decide if to use both in parallel.
38 >
39 > For now I disabled the stuff from the wiki (stop sourcing
40 > /etc/bash/local/cgrouprc) as it only gives me warnings ...
41
42 What kind of warnings? Systemd already mounts the filesystem for it and starts
43 poulating it. If your script does similar things, they might try to duplicate
44 work?
45
46 > * found this blog-entry against systemd:
47 >
48 > http://monolight.cc/2011/05/the-systemd-fallacy/
49 >
50 > I agree, it might be more useful on desktops ... so far I am still
51 > exploring and learning to get to the point to make a decision where and
52 > if to use.
53
54 I think it is more useful on desktops and laptops, which get rebooted
55 regularly. On a server that tends to run for months without a reboot, a fast
56 init-system is important.
57
58 And I don't really see the point of D-BUS on a server either. All the services
59 that need to talk to each other already have working communication paths.
60
61 I do intend to implement it on my desktop and netbook as I'd like to have
62 those booting as fast as possible.
65 Joost