From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE: unwanted dependencies
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:05:24
1 On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 13/09/2013 12:10, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
3 >> Hi people,
4 >>
5 >> I am about to update KDE from 4.10.4 to 4.11.1.
6 >> Is it possible to avoid installing various nepomuks and akonadis which
7 >
8 > No
11 >> appear to be required now? I have set USE=-semantic-desktop but it
12 >> doesn't seem to help.
13 >> My current KDE installation is quite happy without that stuff (which
14 >> also brings along tons of other crap).
17 > The KDE maintainers posted quite extensively about this some time back.
18 >
19 > It is too hard to try and extract semantic-desktop out of the KDE build
20 > whilst not breaking everything else. What you now do is allow the stuff
21 > to be built, and disable the function in System Settings.
22 >
23 > What this in effect means is you spend an extra 20 minutes building and
24 > have a few more meg of disk space consumed by code than you never run.
25
26 There was a series of threads recently in the gentoo-desktop mailing
27 list about someone proposing an overlay for KDE minus the
28 semantic/nepomuk stuff. Search the archives for "kde-lean".