From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: autodepclean script (was "how to remove HAL")
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:08:15
1 On Thursday 19 August 2010, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 09:49:22PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote
3 >
4 > > I've just experimented a bit with that and it turned out that
5 > > --depclean doesn't clean up the buildtime-only deps. But if I
6 > > remove one of them (eg. cabextract), they don't get pulled in again
7 > > (that's indicating the depending ebuilds are written properly).
8 >
9 > This reminds me of a script I've been working on to remove
10 > unnecessary cruft. Everything that follows is run as root, because
11 > it runs "emerge". The attached script "autodepclean" parses the
12 > output from "emerge --pretend --depclean" and generates a script
13 > "cleanscript" that you can run to clean up your system. This should
14 > handle your situation, but it's also a general solution to the
15 > entire class of problems of cleaning up when you remove all programs
16 > or USE flags that pull in a lib. It is not restricted to just HAL
17 >
18 > Warning, this script is beta. Use with care. It will remove
19 > gentoo-sources versions higher than your current kernel. This is
20 > technically correct for removing unused ebuilds. But it may not be
21 > what you want.
22
23 I'm unclear about the aim of your script, what does different from
24 "emerge -a --depclean" followed by "revdep-rebuild -- -a"?
25
26 Ciao
27 Francesco
28 --
29 Linux Version 2.6.35-gentoo-r1, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 11
30 07:11:30 CEST 2010
31 Two 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 4021.84 Bogomips Total
32 aemaeth