From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Limiting amount of memory a program can use.
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 00:58:56
1 Matt Connell wrote:
2 > How many torrents are you seeding, for a point of comparison?
3 >
4 > I use deluge (headless) on my home server, seeding anywhere from 500-
5 > 1000 individual torrents, representing ~5TB of total data, and the
6 > process is cruising along at just over 1GB of memory used.
7 >
8 > Maybe qbittorrent just doesn't scale well? I feel like I'm on the
9 > exceedingly-high end of the spectrum with usage of a torrent program,
10 > but I don't know what everyone else is doing.
15 At one point, I had about 400 or so total, some downloading, some
16 finished and uploading while some were doing both.  I may have to switch
17 to something else before it is over.  I may even put it on a different
18 machine or use something else to put my videos on the TV, HTPC thingy.
19 Since I've found things that were hard to find elsewhere, I want to
20 return the favor.  So, I'd really like to hold onto those that are hard
21 to find.
22
23 After I removed some of the inactive ones, it is a lot better.  I also
24 limited the upload speed which helped a lot.  According to atop, when
25 uploading at higher speeds, the reads were really putting a load on that
26 set of drives.  Does deluge have a GUI option?  Of course, if I put it
27 on another machine, I may go headless for it.  That's one reason I'm
28 asking.  Options.
29
30 And as soon as I think it is better, it slows down again and I find this
31 from top:
34 27672 dale 20 0 410.7g 4.3g 4.1g S 2.2 13.6 158:26.37
35 /usr/bin/qbittorrent
38 It's not nearly as bad as it was when I started this thread but still,
39 that's a lot of memory.
40
41 Dale
42