From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:32:45
1 On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:38:42 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > > Sometimes a simplistic rule is what's needed. If you are selling
4 > > off-site storage in 1GB chunks, you need to stop people using more
5 > > than they have paid for. Hard quotas do this, soft quotas let you
6 > > warn them first, before things get broken.
7 >
8 > I'm unclear how this warning would be addressed.
9 >
10 > Your system must be more complex than I'm imagining, because I see this
11 > obvious answer of a bash script which loops through /home/*, runs `du`
12 > or `df` and sends an email to anyone who's consuming more than 90%.
13 > Obviously this needs to be adapted to circumstance.
14
15 The warnquota command, from sys-fs/quota, does this for all user and all
16 filesystems with a single command called from cron. Yes, you could
17 reinvent the wheel with a shell script, but the wheel already exists for
18 filesystems other than ZFS. There's also the grace time element, which
19 allows you to go over quota for a short period, allowing you, for
20 example, to delete some old backups before the system fails on the new
21 one.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 WITLAG: The delay between delivery and comprehension of a joke.