From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 19:15:32
1 On 25/06/2021 09:46, Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 25 June 2021 08:50:32 BST antlists wrote:
3 >> On 23/06/2021 10:11, jdm wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 16:17:41 +0100
5 >>>
6 >>> Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> On Monday, 21 June 2021 17:27:31 BST Wols Lists wrote:
8 >>>>> What happens when you get to the end of the handbook?
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> I want to get a working Wayland setup with a (multi-user) graphical
11 >>>>> login. When I set my old system up ($DEITY knows how long ago) I
12 >>>>> seem to remember a page on setting up X, and all sorts of stuff.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> Now, you seem to get dumped at working tty1 prompt, and then the
15 >>>>> *helpful* documentation JUST STOPS. It doesn't even point you at
16 >>>>> anything! (Yes it points you at the portage page about how to
17 >>>>> maintain your system, but that isn't much use if you can't DO
18 >>>>> anything with the system...)
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>> I've found the page on Wayland, but it just says "set this use flag
21 >>>>> and install two packages".
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> Where's the documentation that tells me what I need, and how to set
24 >>>>> it up, please ...
25 >>>>>
26 >>>>> Cheers,
27 >>>>> Wol
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Have you tried using a Display Manager? Some of my systems won't
30 >>>> work with Wayland, but I haven't spent time to find out why all I get
31 >>>> with them is a black screen.
32 >>>>
33 >>>> Anyway, from a VT you'd run something like:
34 >>>>
35 >>>> XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland
36 >>>>
37 >>>> or
38 >>>>
39 >>>> XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session gnome-session
40 >>>
41 >>> There is a wayland greeter which uses greetd and gtkgreet which may
42 >>> be worth looking at and there is a gentoo wiki which goes a long with
43 >>> it. It works with wayfire which is a nice wayland window manager and is
44 >>> very reliable.
45 >>>
46 >>> Also look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wayland_Desktop_Landscape
47 >>
48 >> Thanks, but I'm none the wiser ... the thing is, for X the instructions
49 >> are simple - "install xorg, run startx".
50 >>
51 >> Okay, I've done that and got errors I need to solve, but with Wayland I
52 >> just don't have a clue. I don't know what I need, I don't know how to
53 >> start it, all I've got is a pile of bits in a box, and I don't know what
54 >> to do with them.
55 >>
56 >> Everything I find is like a meccano set - there's loads of bits and
57 >> pieces, but no instructions, and I don't have a clue how they fit
58 >> together. Where's the recipe that says "do this this and this and you
59 >> should have a gui"?
60 >>
61 >> Cheers,
62 >> Wol
63 >
64 > From what I recall as long as you set USE="wayland" globally and re-emerge
65 > world with '--changed-use' you should able to launch your dekstop in wayland,
66 > rather than Xserver.
67 >
68 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wayland
69 >
70 > There is a caveat, to make things simple: your desktop environment should have
71 > full support for wayland compositing - e.g. Plasma and Gnome come ready baked
72 > with their own compositor and will run in Wayland. Window managers which do
73 > not possess a compositor will require one installed separately, as noted in
74 > jdm's post, but then we're getting into a box with a pile of bits in it.
75 >
76 > To launch wayland you can either install a Display Manager and select to start
77 > wayland from its GUI options, instead of X11, or you can run the stanzas I
78 > provided above.
79 >
80 Bear in mind my profile is desktop/plasma/systemd ...
81
82 This is very informative, but it blows up on me ... I've checked that
83 wayland is in my use flags so that should all be okay ...
84
85 # XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland
86 ... startplasma-wayland not found ...
87
88 # emerge qtgreet
89 emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "qtgreet".
90
91 So you've massively helped in that I now know much better how things fit
92 together, but unfortunately you've also been no help at all in that the
93 stuff you've pointed at doesn't work ...
94
95 Where do I go from here ...
96
97 Cheers,