From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 08:47:06
1 On Friday, 25 June 2021 08:50:32 BST antlists wrote:
2 > On 23/06/2021 10:11, jdm wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 16:17:41 +0100
4 > >
5 > > Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> On Monday, 21 June 2021 17:27:31 BST Wols Lists wrote:
7 > >>> What happens when you get to the end of the handbook?
8 > >>>
9 > >>> I want to get a working Wayland setup with a (multi-user) graphical
10 > >>> login. When I set my old system up ($DEITY knows how long ago) I
11 > >>> seem to remember a page on setting up X, and all sorts of stuff.
12 > >>>
13 > >>> Now, you seem to get dumped at working tty1 prompt, and then the
14 > >>> *helpful* documentation JUST STOPS. It doesn't even point you at
15 > >>> anything! (Yes it points you at the portage page about how to
16 > >>> maintain your system, but that isn't much use if you can't DO
17 > >>> anything with the system...)
18 > >>>
19 > >>> I've found the page on Wayland, but it just says "set this use flag
20 > >>> and install two packages".
21 > >>>
22 > >>> Where's the documentation that tells me what I need, and how to set
23 > >>> it up, please ...
24 > >>>
25 > >>> Cheers,
26 > >>> Wol
27 > >>
28 > >> Have you tried using a Display Manager? Some of my systems won't
29 > >> work with Wayland, but I haven't spent time to find out why all I get
30 > >> with them is a black screen.
31 > >>
32 > >> Anyway, from a VT you'd run something like:
33 > >>
34 > >> XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland
35 > >>
36 > >> or
37 > >>
38 > >> XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session gnome-session
39 > >
40 > > There is a wayland greeter which uses greetd and gtkgreet which may
41 > > be worth looking at and there is a gentoo wiki which goes a long with
42 > > it. It works with wayfire which is a nice wayland window manager and is
43 > > very reliable.
44 > >
45 > > Also look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wayland_Desktop_Landscape
46 >
47 > Thanks, but I'm none the wiser ... the thing is, for X the instructions
48 > are simple - "install xorg, run startx".
49 >
50 > Okay, I've done that and got errors I need to solve, but with Wayland I
51 > just don't have a clue. I don't know what I need, I don't know how to
52 > start it, all I've got is a pile of bits in a box, and I don't know what
53 > to do with them.
54 >
55 > Everything I find is like a meccano set - there's loads of bits and
56 > pieces, but no instructions, and I don't have a clue how they fit
57 > together. Where's the recipe that says "do this this and this and you
58 > should have a gui"?
59 >
60 > Cheers,
61 > Wol
62
63 From what I recall as long as you set USE="wayland" globally and re-emerge
64 world with '--changed-use' you should able to launch your dekstop in wayland,
65 rather than Xserver.
66
67 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wayland
68
69 There is a caveat, to make things simple: your desktop environment should have
70 full support for wayland compositing - e.g. Plasma and Gnome come ready baked
71 with their own compositor and will run in Wayland. Window managers which do
72 not possess a compositor will require one installed separately, as noted in
73 jdm's post, but then we're getting into a box with a pile of bits in it.
74
75 To launch wayland you can either install a Display Manager and select to start
76 wayland from its GUI options, instead of X11, or you can run the stanzas I
77 provided above.