From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 07:50:44
1 On 23/06/2021 10:11, jdm wrote:
2 > On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 16:17:41 +0100
3 > Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Monday, 21 June 2021 17:27:31 BST Wols Lists wrote:
6 >>> What happens when you get to the end of the handbook?
7 >>>
8 >>> I want to get a working Wayland setup with a (multi-user) graphical
9 >>> login. When I set my old system up ($DEITY knows how long ago) I
10 >>> seem to remember a page on setting up X, and all sorts of stuff.
11 >>>
12 >>> Now, you seem to get dumped at working tty1 prompt, and then the
13 >>> *helpful* documentation JUST STOPS. It doesn't even point you at
14 >>> anything! (Yes it points you at the portage page about how to
15 >>> maintain your system, but that isn't much use if you can't DO
16 >>> anything with the system...)
17 >>>
18 >>> I've found the page on Wayland, but it just says "set this use flag
19 >>> and install two packages".
20 >>>
21 >>> Where's the documentation that tells me what I need, and how to set
22 >>> it up, please ...
23 >>>
24 >>> Cheers,
25 >>> Wol
26 >>
27 >> Have you tried using a Display Manager? Some of my systems won't
28 >> work with Wayland, but I haven't spent time to find out why all I get
29 >> with them is a black screen.
30 >>
31 >> Anyway, from a VT you'd run something like:
32 >>
33 >> XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland
34 >>
35 >> or
36 >>
37 >> XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session gnome-session
38 >
39 > There is a wayland greeter which uses greetd and gtkgreet which may
40 > be worth looking at and there is a gentoo wiki which goes a long with
41 > it. It works with wayfire which is a nice wayland window manager and is
42 > very reliable.
43 >
44 > Also look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wayland_Desktop_Landscape
45 >
46 Thanks, but I'm none the wiser ... the thing is, for X the instructions
47 are simple - "install xorg, run startx".
48
49 Okay, I've done that and got errors I need to solve, but with Wayland I
50 just don't have a clue. I don't know what I need, I don't know how to
51 start it, all I've got is a pile of bits in a box, and I don't know what
52 to do with them.
53
54 Everything I find is like a meccano set - there's loads of bits and
55 pieces, but no instructions, and I don't have a clue how they fit
56 together. Where's the recipe that says "do this this and this and you
57 should have a gui"?
58
59 Cheers,
60 Wol