From: jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 09:11:44
1 On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 16:17:41 +0100
2 Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Monday, 21 June 2021 17:27:31 BST Wols Lists wrote:
5 > > What happens when you get to the end of the handbook?
6 > >
7 > > I want to get a working Wayland setup with a (multi-user) graphical
8 > > login. When I set my old system up ($DEITY knows how long ago) I
9 > > seem to remember a page on setting up X, and all sorts of stuff.
10 > >
11 > > Now, you seem to get dumped at working tty1 prompt, and then the
12 > > *helpful* documentation JUST STOPS. It doesn't even point you at
13 > > anything! (Yes it points you at the portage page about how to
14 > > maintain your system, but that isn't much use if you can't DO
15 > > anything with the system...)
16 > >
17 > > I've found the page on Wayland, but it just says "set this use flag
18 > > and install two packages".
19 > >
20 > > Where's the documentation that tells me what I need, and how to set
21 > > it up, please ...
22 > >
23 > > Cheers,
24 > > Wol
25 >
26 > Have you tried using a Display Manager? Some of my systems won't
27 > work with Wayland, but I haven't spent time to find out why all I get
28 > with them is a black screen.
29 >
30 > Anyway, from a VT you'd run something like:
31 >
32 > XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland
33 >
34 > or
35 >
36 > XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session gnome-session
37
38 There is a wayland greeter which uses greetd and gtkgreet which may
39 be worth looking at and there is a gentoo wiki which goes a long with
40 it. It works with wayfire which is a nice wayland window manager and is
41 very reliable.
42
43 Also look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wayland_Desktop_Landscape
44