From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question about portage capabilities
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 02:23:27
1 On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > I am using a package called Rasmol, which is used for visualization of
5 > molecular structures. This software uses a certain table for atomic
6 > sizes, and I need to change some values in that table - it is stored
7 > in a header file within Rasmol source code. There is an ebuild for
8 > Rasmol, and it works fine - but what I'm wondering is how I can tell
9 > portage to STOP once it unpacks Rasmol in the temporary work directory
10 > - so I can tweak some things in the source code - and then resume the
11 > build, using what's already in the work directory. Looking at a
12 > manpage for emerge, I didn't immediately get any creative ideas, but
13 > might someone offer some advice for how to accomplish this?
14
15 Hi Denis,
16
17 Use the "ebuild" command to execute the steps of emerging
18 separately... read the manpage for the available options, but for
19 example you can do something like:
20
21 ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild unpack
22 ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild prepare
23 ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild configure
24 ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild compile
25 ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild preinst
26 ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild install
27 ebuild /usr/portage/foo-bar/yourpkg-1.2.3.ebuild postinst
28
29 and in-between those steps you can change to your portage tmpdir and
30 edit the unpacked source files and do whatever you need to do to them.