From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restart "frozen" X
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 03:00:27
1 On 02/27/13 17:53, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 >On 02/26/2013 07:18 PM, Joseph wrote:
3 >> I'm running Nvidia driver: 310.32 with my GeForce GTS 450 kernle-3.1.6
4 >>
5 >> but I've noticed it freezes my screen once a day or ever second day.
6 >> Mouse is moving but no icon is responding, nor can I use the keyboard
7 >> (all frozen).
8 >>
9 >> I can login to the system over ssh. I've tried to restart/zap "xdm" it
10 >> doesn't help.
11 >> What else can I do to restart "X"?
14 >If downgrading nvidia-drivers doesn't help check your power supply. My
15 >computer exhibited this issue a while back because the voltages went all
16 >wonky and the hardware really didn't like it - I could still ssh in from
17 >my tablet but the entire computer appeared frozen.
18 >
19 >If I just ran at the console (ie not starting X) the computer would work
20 >fine all day.
21 >
22 >I don't know what nvidia card you have but mine requires two extra power
23 >connectors but the PSU just couldn't supply enough power to keep the GPU
24 >stable.
25 >
26 >Dan
27
28 I have a: GeForce GTS 450
29 It was flawless until recent upgrade; I don't suspect power supply.
30 It only freeze on me two times and right after upgrade; the last time was when I hit a link in thunder-bird email client but I think it has happen when I open a link in
31 firefox as well (don't remember).
32 I'll keep monitoring it. I did not upgrade the kernel only the nvidia driver.
35 Joseph