From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT : DSL modems & changing ISP
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:10:27
1 I've decided to change my ISP from Sympatico to Uniserve
2 & need to check a couple of things re which others may have advice.
3
4 (1) the best option seems to be to buy a DSL modem: Uniserve offers
5
6 Zoom x4 ADSL : <= 8 Mbit/s (up 1 Mbit/s )
7 www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html#5651 : "works w Linux"
8
9 My understanding is that the kernel talks to the ethernet chip on the mobo,
10 which in turn talks to the DSL modem, so there is no problem
11 of having a DSL modem which Linux cannot work with. Am I correct ?
12
13 (2) IIRC I'm signed up for Gentoo lists as 'purslow@×××××××××.ca',
14 so it looks as if I will need to resubscribe under the new ISP
15 (I have a reply-to header pointing to my UoT address,
16 but I delete it from e-mails to lists, as it caused problems in the past).
17
18 Has anyone had other problems in this area I should know about (smile) ?
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca