From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] swapping processor problem
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 07:35:01
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > Play with your BIOS settings. Look for things like legacy USB support.
3 > Also, double-check that all the relevant USB drivers (UHCI, EHCI,
4 > XHCI, HID, etc) are either built-into the kernel, or are loaded as
5 > modules. Consider rebuilding your kernel. Just because one processor
6 > has a superset of the instructions of the other doesn't mean there may
7 > not be other compatibilities. Some time back, a thread on here
8 > discussed how to find out what -march=native becomes, in terms of
9 > -march and a bunch of other parameters. I've noticed parameters like
10 > cache line sizes and cache sizes, among a couple others. I imagine a
11 > bungling of, e.g., cache line sizes could break code that has heavy
12 > dependency on data locality and/or memory models; it might have broken
13 > your USB drivers, for example. But, really, I think BIOS settings and
14 > driver presence are the more likely culprit.
15
16 Here it is:
17
18 gcc -Q --help=target -march=native
19
20 I agree tho that checking those BIOS setting is a good start. If that fails, boot a CD or something, chroot in, do a emerge -e system. Maybe make some corrections to the kernel then try booting. Oh, I'd rebuild the input drivers to, mouse and keyboard. Check the USE flags too. I'm not sure what all options they have.
23 Dale
24
28 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!