From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] swapping processor problem
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:09:07
1 On 11/16/2011 08:34 AM, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > I agree tho that checking those BIOS setting is a good start. If that fails, boot a CD or something, chroot in, do a emerge -e system. Maybe make some corrections to the kernel then try booting. Oh, I'd rebuild the input drivers to, mouse and keyboard. Check the USE flags too. I'm not sure what all options they have.
6 Boot from CD also was failing with a lock so I think it was a mobo/CPU
7 incompatibility issue. Nevertheless I'd like to understand the points
8 you and Michael are making.
9
10 The Award BIOS has almost no CPU-related options.
11 There is no way I can control cache size from BIOS.
12 Since the memory controller is integrated in the Athlon64 I'd think DRAM
13 settings page could be affected by a CPU swap but I have it all set to
14 'auto' so I suppose that the BIOS should fix them after the swap.
15 USB is implemented on southbridge, not on CPU.
16
17 I found no parameter in the kernel config that could be affected by the
18 CPU swap except for SMP setting, but a misconfiguration there should not
19 cause a hang, just a core not being used.
20
21 Which drivers should be affected by a CPU swap? All the ones I can think
22 of are motherboard-related, not CPU-related.
23
24 Thanks for the hint on gcc, I'll check the differences on the two
25 systems once I have them back up and working.