From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] swapping processor problem
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:24:31
1 Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > On 11/16/2011 08:34 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> I agree tho that checking those BIOS setting is a good start. If that fails, boot a CD or something, chroot in, do a emerge -e system. Maybe make some corrections to the kernel then try booting. Oh, I'd rebuild the input drivers to, mouse and keyboard. Check the USE flags too. I'm not sure what all options they have.
4 >>
5 > Boot from CD also was failing with a lock so I think it was a mobo/CPU
6 > incompatibility issue. Nevertheless I'd like to understand the points
7 > you and Michael are making.
8 >
9 > The Award BIOS has almost no CPU-related options.
10 > There is no way I can control cache size from BIOS.
11 > Since the memory controller is integrated in the Athlon64 I'd think DRAM
12 > settings page could be affected by a CPU swap but I have it all set to
13 > 'auto' so I suppose that the BIOS should fix them after the swap.
14 > USB is implemented on southbridge, not on CPU.
15 >
16 > I found no parameter in the kernel config that could be affected by the
17 > CPU swap except for SMP setting, but a misconfiguration there should not
18 > cause a hang, just a core not being used.
19 >
20 > Which drivers should be affected by a CPU swap? All the ones I can think
21 > of are motherboard-related, not CPU-related.
22 >
23 > Thanks for the hint on gcc, I'll check the differences on the two
24 > systems once I have them back up and working.
27 You could be right that it is a mobo CPU issue. When you are grasping
28 at straws, just grab all you can. Since you got it to work then I
29 wouldn't think it was software, a failing hardware such as a bad CPU or
30 a bad kernel.
31
32 Generally if it works on a CD, then it is software. If it also fails
33 from a CD, then it should be hardware. Sounds like yours is a hardware
34 issue but just a compatibility problem, not failure.
35
36 Maybe check if there is a BIOS update available? Might be worth a shot.
37
38 Dale
39
43 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!