From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fwd:How about the gentoo server or cluster in production environment?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:52:55
1 On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:29:52 +0100 Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
2 > The 20/02/14, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
3 >
4 > > Gentoo makes the best server os because it's a custom built os where the
5 > > admin knows each and every aspect of the os. Security wise, there are no
6 > > unwanted or unused stuff, so lesser bugs to deal with.
7 >
8 > While I agree with the "less code is less bug" argument, I disagree with
9 > your point.
10 >
11 > Tuning softwares mean that the binaries compiled on a machine are less
12 > used in the wild (other Gentoo systems have other hardware, enabled use
13 > flags, etc). Hence, the binaries executed on you local server are likely
14 > much less tested by others.
15
16 And this point is one of the highest security benefits in real world:
17 one have non-standard binaries, not available in the wild. Most
18 exploits will fail on such binaries even if vulnerability is still
19 there. This will cut-off most off automatic botnet attacks even
20 without additional security measures like hardened setup, PaX or
21 GRSecurity (yeah, I never trusted SELinux because of its main
22 author: sane agency will never release a security tool which can be
23 a hinder to this agency). Of course, if system is specifically
24 targeted by qualified professionals, this will only hinder their
25 approach, but binary based distributions will not provide any
26 advantage here either.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Andrew Savchenko