From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fwd:How about the gentoo server or cluster in production environment?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:30:22
1 The 20/02/14, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2
3 > Gentoo makes the best server os because it's a custom built os where the
4 > admin knows each and every aspect of the os. Security wise, there are no
5 > unwanted or unused stuff, so lesser bugs to deal with.
6
7 While I agree with the "less code is less bug" argument, I disagree with
8 your point.
9
10 Tuning softwares mean that the binaries compiled on a machine are less
11 used in the wild (other Gentoo systems have other hardware, enabled use
12 flags, etc). Hence, the binaries executed on you local server are likely
13 much less tested by others.
14
15 So, we can't say what is the true impact of use flags on security or
16 stability compared to any widely-used pre-compiled distribution.
19 Nicolas Sebrecht