From: Woohyung Jeon <wh@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge and CPU core usage
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 02:32:59
1 I can't be sure whether these links will help, but there were conversations.
2
3 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-866779-start-0.html
4 https://www.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comments/68psrz/why_does_emerge_calculate_dependencies_on_a/
5
6 On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 6:44 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > james wrote:
9 > > On 12/9/19 1:31 AM, Dale wrote:
10 > >> Howdy,
11 > >>
12 > >
13 > >> I'm sure trying to get portage to do things in parallel would be a
14 > >> programmers nightmare.� It may not even be doable given how the
15 > >> tree is
16 > >> done or that the complexity of calculating all the options is just to
17 > >> much to run in parallel.
18 > >
19 > > Hello Dale,
20 > >
21 > > Not sure this is what you are looking for, but it's pretty easy to set
22 > > up.
25 > > in my /etc/make.conf file I have this::
28 > > MAKEOPTS="-j7 -l8"
31 > > so it does what you are looking for on larger upgrades. Some files
32 > > that do not compile properly, auto limit to one core. My understanding
33 > > is there are a variety of mechanism to achieve this.
34 > >
35 > > The kernel version/setting surely has more options, but they are
36 > > optimized according to the types of workloads and the scheduler you
37 > > have selected. YOU or anyone can waist weeks and months going down
38 > > that pathway.
39 > >
40 > > Then there are mechanisms to further refine how your system works.
43 > > It's a wide open area so read up a bit and find your comfort level.
46 > > hth,
47 > > James
52 > I have that type of setting already. What I was talking about is when
53 > you do a emerge -uaDN world and it is calculating what packages needs
54 > updating. When it is doing that, it only uses one core, thread I guess
55 > for those who have threads, which means having a multi-core CPU doesn't
56 > help speed things up. Basically, my question was about the emerge
57 > command itself not when it is actually compiling packages.
58 >
59 > I read where it was discussed on -dev a couple years or so ago. I'm not
60 > a coder but from what I could understand, it sounded really complicated
61 > to have the emerge command able to run calculations in parallel. It
62 > seems there is a couple things that just can not be done that way.
63 >
64 > Maybe one day. Just maybe.
65 >
66 > Dale