From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about Portage Update
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 21:03:29
1 On Sunday 01 January 2006 21:18, William Gabriel wrote:
2
3 > I want to start this post off by stressing that I am not complaining,
4 > but merely inquiring.
5
6 There is nothing to complain about in what happened to you, it's just the
7 expected behaviour if your system is x86 (read on for the details).
8
9 > I got comfortable with Ruby, and I now want to install Rails. I
10 > started with the typical 'emerge --sync' and found that the most
11 > recent version of Rails in Portage is 0.13.1. A lot of work has gone
12 > into Rails to get it to version 1.0.0, and that is the version I would
13 > like to install. Naturally, I would also like Portage to manage the
14 > installation over manually installing it.
15
16 Yes, it's very simple. Create the file /etc/portage/package.keywords (if
17 it doesn't exist already) and put the following lines in it:
18
19 dev-ruby/rails ~x86
20 dev-ruby/activerecord ~x86
21 dev-ruby/activesupport ~x86
22 dev-ruby/actionmailer ~x86
23 dev-ruby/actionpack ~x86
24 dev-ruby/actionwebservice ~x86
25
26 Then try to reemerge rails and it shuld bring in version 1.0.0 (depending
27 on your setup, it might be necessary to add a few other packages
28 in /etc/portage/package.keywords).
29
30 > My main question has to do with about how Portage gets updated. Is
31 > there some central authority that updates the repository, or is it any
32 > user that is interested in making a Portage package? How often does
33 > software get updated (it seems like Ruby was pretty close to
34 > up-to-date, but Rails was a little behind).
35 >
36 > Is there any way that I can help update the package? Is there
37 > documentation for updating packages? And where would I find the
38 > 0.13.1 package source so that I have a base to work with? And then
39 > how wou submit the new package to the central repository?
40
41 I suggest you read the handbook, part 2 and 3 to get the basics of how
42 portage works, and in particular this:
43
44 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3
45
46 to learn about the different software branches gentoo provides (ie, "x86"
47 and "~x86" for the x86 architecture, "sparc" and "~sparc" for the sparc,
48 etc.).
49
50 In short, the software you need *is* in portage, but is marked
51 "unstable" (~x86). "Unstable" here does not necessarily mean that it
52 doesn't work (in that case it would be marked -* or not keyworded at all
53 for your arch), but simply that it has not received a sufficient amount
54 of testing to be considered "stable". Packages marked ~x86 usually work
55 just fine. Some people even run their whole system in ~x86, by changing
56 the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable in /etc/make.conf.
57
58 HTH
59 --
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list