From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error during boot up.
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 08:13:00
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On December 20, 2018 4:41:26 AM UTC, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Howdy,
5 >
6 > I just installed a new video card.  After a couple weeks of USPS
7 > dragging it around, it finally came in.  Anyway, I got it installed and
8 > was booting up.  I noticed somewhere between the kernel part and it
9 > going through the runlevel part, there was something that failed.  I saw
10 > a little red colored text and the word failed but I found one bad thing
11 > about a really fast CPU.  It scrolls by so fast, I can't tell what it
12 > is.  It is almost a blur when it scrolls up.  It's not a service because
13 > rc-status shows all green.  I'm not sure that lists everything tho since
14 > it seems a little light on the number of services.
15 >
16 > At some point way back, I recall there being a logger that picks up the
17 > area between when dmesg is logging and when syslog or friends start
18 > logging to the message file.  I think this is where the error is.  I
19 > can't find tool now.  I also can't find anything else in /var/log
20 > either.  Am I wrong on having this or did it die off in the tree and got
21 > removed?  If so, is there something that picks up that area of the boot
22 > up process as far as errors go?  My system seems to work fine but I'd
23 > like to know what that error was.  It may cause a problem at some point
24 > and could even be the problem with that random reboot I had in another
25 > thread.
26 >
27 > Thanks.
28 >
29 > Dale
30 >
31 > :-)  :-)
32 >
33 > P. S.  I did reseat all the power cables to the mobo while I was
34 > swapping video cards.  Hoping that may help with that weird reboot thing
35 > I had going on.  BTW, it hasn't happened since the one I started the
36 > thread about either.  Weird.
39 > In "rc.conf" there is an option to log to /var/log/rc.log or similar.
40 > Not near a working system, so can't check actual option.
41 >
42 > --
43 > Joost
44 > --
45 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
48 That gave me the clue I needed.  I was looking for a package.  No wonder
49 I couldn't find it.  It was disabled in rc.conf for some reason and
50 based on the last date of the log file, it has been for a while, which
51 is why I thought something got cleaned out or something.  I now have
52 this set:
56 # NOTE: Linux systems require the devfs service to be started before
57 # logging can take place and as such cannot log the sysinit runlevel.
58 rc_logger="YES"
59
60 # Through rc_log_path you can specify a custom log file.
61 # The default value is: /var/log/rc.log
62 rc_log_path="/var/log/rc.log"
65 Thanks for the help.  When I boot next time, maybe it will log the error
66 and I can see what is going on.
67
68 Dale
69