From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error during boot up.
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 07:43:07
1 On December 20, 2018 4:41:26 AM UTC, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Howdy,
3 >
4 >I just installed a new video card.  After a couple weeks of USPS
5 >dragging it around, it finally came in.  Anyway, I got it installed and
6 >was booting up.  I noticed somewhere between the kernel part and it
7 >going through the runlevel part, there was something that failed.  I
8 >saw
9 >a little red colored text and the word failed but I found one bad thing
10 >about a really fast CPU.  It scrolls by so fast, I can't tell what it
11 >is.  It is almost a blur when it scrolls up.  It's not a service
12 >because
13 >rc-status shows all green.  I'm not sure that lists everything tho
14 >since
15 >it seems a little light on the number of services.
16 >
17 >At some point way back, I recall there being a logger that picks up the
18 >area between when dmesg is logging and when syslog or friends start
19 >logging to the message file.  I think this is where the error is.  I
20 >can't find tool now.  I also can't find anything else in /var/log
21 >either.  Am I wrong on having this or did it die off in the tree and
22 >got
23 >removed?  If so, is there something that picks up that area of the boot
24 >up process as far as errors go?  My system seems to work fine but I'd
25 >like to know what that error was.  It may cause a problem at some point
26 >and could even be the problem with that random reboot I had in another
27 >thread.
28 >
29 >Thanks.
30 >
31 >Dale
32 >
33 >:-)  :-)
34 >
35 >P. S.  I did reseat all the power cables to the mobo while I was
36 >swapping video cards.  Hoping that may help with that weird reboot
37 >thing
38 >I had going on.  BTW, it hasn't happened since the one I started the
39 >thread about either.  Weird.
40
41 In "rc.conf" there is an option to log to /var/log/rc.log or similar.
42 Not near a working system, so can't check actual option.
45 Joost
46 --
47 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.