From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] File permissions and such
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 11:57:46
1 On Saturday 26 May 2007, Dale wrote:
2 > Dan Cowsill wrote:
3 > > Hey list,
4 > >
5 > > It has been a constant burden to me to have to change the file
6 > > permissions of files I've copied so that other users can access
7 > > them and modify them. Say I have a number of documents in the
8 > > /root folder which the root user owns. Now I want to transfer them
9 > > to my non-priveliged user so I can work on them... But I have to
10 > > chown them so that is possible.
11 > >
12 > > It just occured to me that there must be an easier way to do things
13 > > like this and I was wondering if you fine fellows could guide me
14 > > down the right path.
15 > >
16 > > Thanks.
17 >
18 > If you use KDE, you can right click on the folder that contains them
19 > and change the permissions then check the box that says to make it
20 > apply to everything in the folder.
21
22 chmod -R
23 chown -R (this one only works for root)
24
25 > That way you can change a lot of
26 > them at once. I also noticed a while back that if I am in Konqueror
27 > as root and copy to my user desktop, it changes the permissions to my
28 > regular user. I never noticed that before.
29
30 Ye gods. Why are you running KDE as root ???!!!???
31
32 Dan,
33
34 There's no easy way to do this. As a user you have to assign group
35 and/or other access to the files manually. You can't chown them (only
36 root can do that).
37
38 Another alternative is to create a dir somewhere exclusively for the
39 purpose of sharing stuff, make it owned by root, group owned by some
40 share group. Set gid on the directory, every new file/dir
41 copied/moved/created there will now be owned by the share group. Make
42 sure the relevant users are members of this group:
43
44 mkdir /shared-stuff
45 chown -R root:share /shared-stuff
46 chmod g+s /shared-stuff
47
48 To set the group write permission on all these new items, either change
49 the users' umask (ugh!) or use an acl (slightly less ugh!)
50
51 alan
54 Optimists say the glass is half full,
55 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
56 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
57
58 Alan McKinnon
59 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
60 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
61 --
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list