From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge BUG?
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:19:32
1 On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:41:39 +0400, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
2
3 > >> I have copied the system to a new HDD recently and done an `emerge
4 > >> @world`, too, and everything went OK.
5 > >
6 > > OK as in everything you expected to build built? Or OK as in no error
7 > > messages appeared?
8 >
9 > The former. When I do an eix-sync, I expect that emerge -Du @world
10 > updates every package listed with the U-mark.
11 > There are no error messages anyway.
12
13 That shows nothing, except that the packages it did update had no errors.
14 You haven't said whether it emerged everything it should have, which it
15 probably did not.
16
17 > > Your first step would be to restore the world file
18 > > from the old drive, adding the entries from the current version.
19 >
20 > I'll do this, but now I'm just wondering how I ended up with an empty
21 > world file.
22
23 Did you copy the original over in the first place? Did you try adding
24 something to it and used > instead of >> (you shouldn't do either, use
25 emerge -n, but people do).
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
32 (Albert Einstein)