From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question of quantum computer
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 02:18:10
1 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Friday, April 03, 2015 5:05:35 AM wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
4 > > Boricua Siempre <borikua.1978.2@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Hello
7 > > >
8 > > > I have reading of quantum computing and I want know what operating
9 > > > systems are use in quantum computers. And I read quantum computers
10 > >
11 > > I don't think that (yet) there exists computers that are completely
12 > > based on quantum components. Maybe they have a quantum based
13 > > arithmetic unit but the other components are certainly
14 > > conventional. I don't know what kind of OS is used on such
15 > > machines. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is some kind of BSD or
16 > > Linux (maybe Gentum-OS). ;-)
17 >
18 > And there probably never will. An operating system requires
19 > deterministic behaviour and as I understand it (and I'm not an
20 > expert) quantum computing can only deal with probabilities so a
21 > quantum OS would probably crash :)
22
23 But isn't the stability of Linux and BSD running on a non deterministic
24 hardware not proofed some years ago by the Pentium FDIV bug? ;-)
25
26 More seriously, I don't think that in the forseeable future computers
27 will be based only on quantum components. They probably will only be
28 used as an additional arithmetic unit for some specific calculations.
29 Therefore I don't think that the stability of an OS will be disturbed
30 by the fact that these components are based on non deterministic quantum
31 physics.
32
33 We should not forget that the lasers that can be found in CD drives,
34 the magnetic heads in modern hard disks, and also every FET are working
35 with technology that is based on quantum effects. I never heard that
36 any OS has problems with these components.
37 Ok, maybe I'm wrong regarding CD players/writers. Their non deterministic
38 behavior sometimes has driven me crazy. ;-)
39
40 > What we do have is the quantum equivalent of the circuits you may do
41 > on a high school computer club to add a few bits. The most complex
42 > ones may run simple algorithms but are not much more than that as far
43 > as I know.
44 > > > can use particols moving faster than light but on other book
45 > > > particels faster than light make analog sonar boom that can
46 > > > destroy universe. Is quantum computer dangerus? Sorry if my
47 > > > english not good, still learning.
48 > >
49 > > I'm really not an expert on quantum physics but I don't think that
50 > > a quantum computer could be dangerous. :-)
51 > >
52 > > In fact, "a quantum is the minimum amount of any physical entity
53 > > involved in an interaction" (wikipedia).
54 > >
55 > > I could imagine that a single high energy gamma quantum (that can
56 > > have a energy of some MeV) could maybe destroy a flash memory cell
57 > > or a DNA molecule. But such high energetic photons are not used in
58 > > quantum computers. Quantum does there only means that they are
59 > > using very small entities which can be described by the theories of
60 > > quantum mechanic, like electron spins or quantum entangled photons.
61 > >
62 > > And of course there doesn't exist particles that are moving faster
63 > > than light (at least no such particle is ever be detected and AFAIK
64 > > there are absolutely no indications that such particles exits). You
65 > > probably
66 >
67 > There is a sort of analogue to a sonic boom for light speed. It
68 > happens when a particle travels faster than light in a medium. No
69 > massive particle can travel at the speed of light in vacuum but light
70 > travels much slower through a medium and particles can be accelerated
71 > much faster. It happens in nuclear reactors. Of course it doesn't
72 > destroy the universe, it just emits a blue light known a Cherenkov
73 > radiation.
74
75 That's right and I'm aware of this phenomenon. But when I spoke about
76 light speed, I meant the light speed in vacuum of course.
77
78 > > mean "quantum teleportation". But this has nothing to to with the
79 > > movement of particles. It is a phenomenon that results from the
80 > > quantum entanglement of e.g. two electrons and has to do with the
81 > > nonlocality of such phenomenons. When you measure the quantum
82 > > attributes of one of these two electrons you instantaneous
83 > > influence the quantum attributes of the other one, regardless of
84 > > its distance. But if you wanna know the quantum attributes of the
85 > > second electron you need the information about the measurement of
86 > > the first one. And because you cannot transmit this information
87 > > faster than light you also cannot use "quantum teleportation" to
88 > > really transmit information faster than light.
89 >
90 > The best laymen terms explanation I've heard of this is by Murray
91 > Gell-Mann in The Quark and the Jaguar. The state is really determined
92 > when the particles are "entangled". The principle of uncertainty
93 > holds because we cannot know the state until we make the measurement
94 > but there's "no spooky action at a distance."
95
96 That would maybe be a solution for this problem and Einstein would
97 probably be glad to hear about it. :-) But I think that it is very
98 difficult to proof this theory.
99
100 Damn language barrier. I can't really express what I'm thinking. But I
101 will try. :-)
102 If our universe is just a part of something "higher dimensional" (like
103 in string theories) then we will have a fundamental problem to understand
104 it. What we are see as particles or waves is maybe in fact some completely
105 different. We see only the "projection" of the real "things" into our
106 "world", not the underlaying "truth". And because our mind is emerging
107 from a "low dimensional" brain it is maybe not able to understand the
108 whole thing as a matter of principle.
109
110 So, enough for today. My head is spinning now. It is a complex topic
111 and I don't have a really deep understanding of it. I'm no scientist
112 and I'm not be able to understand the complex mathematics that is the
113 base of all these theories. All I can do is to philosophize in a foreign
114 language that I barely can speak on a very low level about facts that I
115 read in some popular scientific articles.
116
117 But nevertheless it's fun to do this. :-)
120 Regards
121 wabe