From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question of quantum computer
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 06:21:58
1 On Friday, April 03, 2015 5:05:35 AM wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Boricua Siempre <borikua.1978.2@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hello
5 > >
6 > > I have reading of quantum computing and I want know what operating
7 > > systems are use in quantum computers. And I read quantum computers
8 >
9 > I don't think that (yet) there exists computers that are completely
10 > based on quantum components. Maybe they have a quantum based arithmetic
11 > unit but the other components are certainly conventional. I don't know
12 > what kind of OS is used on such machines. But I wouldn't be surprised
13 > if it is some kind of BSD or Linux (maybe Gentum-OS). ;-)
14
15 And there probably never will. An operating system requires deterministic
16 behaviour and as I understand it (and I'm not an expert) quantum computing can
17 only deal with probabilities so a quantum OS would probably crash :)
18
19 What we do have is the quantum equivalent of the circuits you may do on a high
20 school computer club to add a few bits. The most complex ones may run simple
21 algorithms but are not much more than that as far as I know.
22
23 > > can use particols moving faster than light but on other book
24 > > particels faster than light make analog sonar boom that can destroy
25 > > universe. Is quantum computer dangerus? Sorry if my english not good,
26 > > still learning.
27 >
28 > I'm really not an expert on quantum physics but I don't think that a
29 > quantum computer could be dangerous. :-)
30 >
31 > In fact, "a quantum is the minimum amount of any physical entity
32 > involved in an interaction" (wikipedia).
33 >
34 > I could imagine that a single high energy gamma quantum (that can have
35 > a energy of some MeV) could maybe destroy a flash memory cell or a DNA
36 > molecule. But such high energetic photons are not used in quantum
37 > computers. Quantum does there only means that they are using very small
38 > entities which can be described by the theories of quantum mechanic,
39 > like electron spins or quantum entangled photons.
40 >
41 > And of course there doesn't exist particles that are moving faster than
42 > light (at least no such particle is ever be detected and AFAIK there
43 > are absolutely no indications that such particles exits). You probably
44
45 There is a sort of analogue to a sonic boom for light speed. It happens when a
46 particle travels faster than light in a medium. No massive particle can travel
47 at the speed of light in vacuum but light travels much slower through a medium
48 and particles can be accelerated much faster. It happens in nuclear reactors.
49 Of course it doesn't destroy the universe, it just emits a blue light known a
50 Cherenkov radiation.
51
52 > mean "quantum teleportation". But this has nothing to to with the
53 > movement of particles. It is a phenomenon that results from the quantum
54 > entanglement of e.g. two electrons and has to do with the nonlocality
55 > of such phenomenons. When you measure the quantum attributes of one of
56 > these two electrons you instantaneous influence the quantum attributes
57 > of the other one, regardless of its distance. But if you wanna know the
58 > quantum attributes of the second electron you need the information
59 > about the measurement of the first one. And because you cannot transmit
60 > this information faster than light you also cannot use "quantum
61 > teleportation" to really transmit information faster than light.
62
63 The best laymen terms explanation I've heard of this is by Murray Gell-Mann in
64 The Quark and the Jaguar. The state is really determined when the particles
65 are "entangled". The principle of uncertainty holds because we cannot know the
66 state until we make the measurement but there's "no spooky action at a
67 distance."
68
69 > My English as well as my knowledge about quantum physics is not
70 > sufficient to explain it better. But you can find many information about
71 > the strange and also fascination aspects of quantum mechanics in the
72 > internet. Just look at wikipedia.
73 >
74 > --
75 > Regards