From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:45:51
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:13 on Saturday 20 November 2010, Mick did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On Friday 19 November 2010 19:19:34 David W Noon wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 17:00:04 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about Re:
6 > >
7 > > [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels:
8 > > >On Friday 19 November 2010 14:42:23 Neil Bothwick wrote:
9 > > >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:52:50 +0000, Mick wrote:
10 > > >> > Also primary partitions which he does not seem to be using at all
11 > > >> > have a slight edge over logical.
12 > > >>
13 > > >> Do you have any data on this? I generally use all logical partitions
14 > > >> but could be persuaded to rethink.
15 > > >
16 > > >Well there must be one level of indirection on first access, since the
17 > > >start of the logical partition has to be looked up in a "primary"
18 > > >partition, but I can't imagine that being needed more than once per
19 > > >reboot.
20 > >
21 > > Correct.
22 > >
23 > > The same applies to LVM2 or EVMS logical volumes: a small "lookup"
24 > > penalty (a few milliseconds) when the filesystem is first
25 > > activated/mounted, and as fast as the drive itself thereafter.
26 >
27 > Short of measuring the latency with some system (which I wouldn't know how)
28 > I have experimented with setting the /boot partition on primary and
29 > logical partitions and the difference (on a stopwatch) was measurable in
30 > seconds betweeen having said partition on a primary and having it on a
31 > logical. Furthermore, sda7 was slower than sda5.
32 >
33 > I haven't measured latencies for first mount and subsequent look ups. I
34 > thought that it would be the same every time a partition fs is being
35 > accessed, no?
38 Not at all. There's this thing the kernel does called caching.
39
40 Yes, I know you can invalidate the entire cache and force the next read to
41 come from disk, but that is completely devoid of reality. Very very few
42 machines actually do that or anything remotely similar. So measuring it does
43 give pretty numbers, pretty meaningless numbers.
44
45 The kernel will cache the entire partition layout scheme and any mapping it
46 needs in order to determine where blocks lie on the disk. Any thought that it
47 won't is just so bat-shit insane and so far out there it's not even worth
48 contemplating.
49
50 Thus, the question that sparked this thread off is entirely moot.
53 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com