From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] executing a file on a usb thumb drive
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 16:13:48
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 >
3 > On 21/3/20 9:06 pm, Dale wrote:
4 >> William Kenworthy wrote:
5 >>> I have an encrypted usb thumb drive I use to transfer files from work
6 >>> (Win10) to home (gentoo) - the encryption and access is via a program
7 >>> that is stored and executed from the thumb drive.
8 >>>
9 >>> Some time back, it became impossible to execute files stored on the
10 >>> thumb drive.  I found I could get it to work if it was mounted within
11 >>> the users home directory.  Since the last round of updates that has
12 >>> become broken as well.
13 >>>
14 >>> I presume the culprit is something in eudev/udisks/polkit/elogind
15 >>> (this is an openrc system)
16 >>>
17 >>> Can someone point me to a guide on how to set up executing files from
18 >>> a usb thumb drive on gentoo?
19 >>>
20 >>> Thanks,
21 >>>
22 >>> BillK.
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >>
28 >> Mind if I'm nosy for a minute.  I'd like to store files on a USB stick
29 >> that are encrypted as well.  However, I'd like it to be able to work no
30 >> matter what OS is used.  I googled but thought it was not possible.  You
31 >> seem to have found a way to do this, broken at the moment but there's
32 >> hope.
33 >>
34 >> Would you share what you are using?  Links maybe??
35 >>
36 >> Thanks.
37 >>
38 >> Dale
39 >>
40 >> :-)  :-)
43 > Look at http://www.withopf.com/tools/securstick/.
44 >
45 > Its mounted as a webdav share.  It does limit the windows side to
46 > files ~35mb or so ( an MS limitation)
47 >
48 > The windows side is seamless, linux is clunky
49 >
50 > You put a linux and windows executable on the thumb drive and execute
51 > the one needed - a login screen appears within your browser.
54 > I just found that exec with the home directory still works ... but
55 > only if in a terminal, cant click on it using a file manager.
58 > BillK
61 Thanks much.  It gives me a starting place.
62
63 Dale
64