From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] executing a file on a usb thumb drive
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 13:29:09
1 On 21/3/20 9:06 pm, Dale wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> I have an encrypted usb thumb drive I use to transfer files from work
4 >> (Win10) to home (gentoo) - the encryption and access is via a program
5 >> that is stored and executed from the thumb drive.
6 >>
7 >> Some time back, it became impossible to execute files stored on the
8 >> thumb drive.  I found I could get it to work if it was mounted within
9 >> the users home directory.  Since the last round of updates that has
10 >> become broken as well.
11 >>
12 >> I presume the culprit is something in eudev/udisks/polkit/elogind
13 >> (this is an openrc system)
14 >>
15 >> Can someone point me to a guide on how to set up executing files from
16 >> a usb thumb drive on gentoo?
17 >>
18 >> Thanks,
19 >>
20 >> BillK.
26 > Mind if I'm nosy for a minute.  I'd like to store files on a USB stick
27 > that are encrypted as well.  However, I'd like it to be able to work no
28 > matter what OS is used.  I googled but thought it was not possible.  You
29 > seem to have found a way to do this, broken at the moment but there's hope.
30 >
31 > Would you share what you are using?  Links maybe??
32 >
33 > Thanks.
34 >
35 > Dale
36 >
37 > :-)  :-)
40 Look at http://www.withopf.com/tools/securstick/.
41
42 Its mounted as a webdav share.  It does limit the windows side to files
43 ~35mb or so ( an MS limitation)
44
45 The windows side is seamless, linux is clunky
46
47 You put a linux and windows executable on the thumb drive and execute
48 the one needed - a login screen appears within your browser.
51 I just found that exec with the home directory still works ... but only
52 if in a terminal, cant click on it using a file manager.
55 BillK