From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:28:28
1 On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 25 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Thanks. I tried that and had some problem. don't remember at this
5 > > point what it was. Anyway, since it wasn't clear I could fix it in a
6 > > few minutes I brought the machine home with me so maybe this weekend
7 > > I can find some time to fire it up, fix the link, and get started on
8 > > updates. We'll see.
9 > >
10 > > I wish it didn't completely remove the profile but just gave you a
11 > > warning that you were using an outdated profile like it used to in
12 > > the old days.
13 >
14 > I remember needing a custom profile for something about 18 months ago. I
15 > don't have that machine any more, but I'm sure I put it in my personal
16 > overlay and it worked just fine. There's nothing special about a
17 > profile, it's just a directory with standard files in it and parent
18 > profiles. If you recreate it or get the old one out of an archive,
19 > store it any old arb place you feel like and symlink make.profile to it
20 >
21 Really I had only about 5 minutes to look at this. she asked me almost
22 as I was walking out the door to drive home. (My parents always do
23 things like that!) I hoped that I'd get lucky, emerge --sync, emerge
24 -DuN world and 6 hours later, when I got home, ssh in and see how much
25 got finished. It didn't work out so I just brought the machine back
26 with me.
27
28 This is not a big deal really and I was just sort of surprised that
29 emerge --sync would remove something that caused such a big ugly
30 message. I'm fine that it works that way and I have no problem fixing
31 the machine. This email was really more about my education than the
32 work.
33
34 Thanks!
35