From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:21:14
1 On Friday 25 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Thanks. I tried that and had some problem. don't remember at this
3 > point what it was. Anyway, since it wasn't clear I could fix it in a
4 > few minutes I brought the machine home with me so maybe this weekend
5 > I can find some time to fire it up, fix the link, and get started on
6 > updates. We'll see.
7 >
8 > I wish it didn't completely remove the profile but just gave you a
9 > warning that you were using an outdated profile like it used to in
10 > the old days.
11
12 I remember needing a custom profile for something about 18 months ago. I
13 don't have that machine any more, but I'm sure I put it in my personal
14 overlay and it worked just fine. There's nothing special about a
15 profile, it's just a directory with standard files in it and parent
16 profiles. If you recreate it or get the old one out of an archive,
17 store it any old arb place you feel like and symlink make.profile to it
20 Alan McKinnon
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list