From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:11:14
1 On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Anno v. Heimburg <anno@×××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Did this machine just get messed up over time and I didn't notice or
4 > > did emerge --sync remove the profile from the system thus breaking
5 > > everything?
6 >
7 > Sync does update profiles, which includes removing old ones that are no
8 > longer supported. I would't go as far as saying it "breaks everything",
9 > after all, all you have to do is to set a new profile and emerge will work
10 > happily again. Do run the next update with -N, though, as the use flags
11 > included in the new profile may have changed versus the old one.
14 Thanks. I tried that and had some problem. don't remember at this
15 point what it was. Anyway, since it wasn't clear I could fix it in a
16 few minutes I brought the machine home with me so maybe this weekend I
17 can find some time to fire it up, fix the link, and get started on
18 updates. We'll see.
19
20 I wish it didn't completely remove the profile but just gave you a
21 warning that you were using an outdated profile like it used to in the
22 old days.
23
24 Again thanks!
25