From: Ralf <ralf+gentoo@×××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gitlab experiences
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 16:37:55
1 Hi,
2
3 On 07/13/16 17:30, James wrote:
4 > Ralf <ralf+gentoo <at> ramses-pyramidenbau.de> writes:
7 >>> From the gentoo wiki, it looks like all of the dependencies are already
8 >>> in portage::
9 >>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GitLab#Prerequisites.2FDependencies
10 Even if all dependency stuff is already inside portage, gitlab itself is
11 not. So there's no guarantee that gitlab will meet dependency
12 requirements in future when some packages upgrade or APIs change.
15 >> I recommend to deploy gitlab inside a Debian LXC/Docker container as
16 >> Gitlab guys provide and maintain precompiled .deb packages. You do not
17 >> want to compile it on your own as it comes with a load of dependencies.
18 >> And once dependencies change you really might run into trouble with
19 >> gentoo. Gitlab isn't just a tiny one-click-and-it-runs webservice, it's
20 >> a whole ecosystem.
21 >
22 > I wonder if using 'app-arch/dpkg' to just install the .deb files on gentoo
23 > would work?
24 > Issues with using dpkg to install gitlab on gentoo inside a VM/container ?
25 Interesting idea, but I never tried it. The gitlab .deb is pretty huge
26 (~350MiB) and is shipped along with its own webserver, ruby and all that
27 other dependency monsters and a minimum requirement to external
28 dependencies. So maybe this is in deed worth a try! Good point.
29
30 But what I know for sure that the .deb said to fit to current debian,
31 where i have kind of a 'guarantee' that it will work in future with
32 minimum pain. So for me a debian LXC container inside my gentoo box is
33 the best solution.
36 >> For private use, I deployed my Gitlab inside a LXC container on my
37 >> Gentoo server box, everything else is really way too much tinkering
38 >> around. If you have no other problems in your life, just try it out and
39 >> go for it.
40 >
41 > Can you be more specific? Exactly which package(s) did you install this way?
42 > Is debian inside that LXC, or just pure gentoo? Are you using CI with this
43 > configuration?
44 Yes, it's debian inside LXC. And no, I'm not using CI.
47 >>> Any experiences with gitlab are most welcome for comment, good or bad.
48 >> Yes. Bad. Slow, unreactive, eats tons of resources. Doesn't scale with
49 >> large repos (except you have unlimited access to hardware resources). A
50 >> Linux kernel git mirror finally crashed it.
51 >
52 > On a cluster would be my approach, after the installation issues are ironed
53 > out on a single server install.
54 >
55 >> That's why I decided to switch to Gogs [1], even for business cases.
56 >> Gogs is implemented in Go, has a pretty active and responsive community
57 >> and (in my opinion) it is a well-maintained project. Looks and feels
58 >> like gitlab but is much faster and consumes a minimum of resources. I
59 >> strongly recommend to use Gogs. Just try it out on their website.
60 >
61 > Is this the gogs package you installed:: www-apps/gogs [1]
62 > [1] "go-overlay" layman/go-overlay
63 >
64 > Or did you just use a SaaS/PaaS for Gogs....?
65 Same here (sorry i was inaccurate): Gogs guys also provide a .deb file.
66 Same strategy: Debian inside a LXC container on my Gentoo box.
69 >> They also provide a .deb package, that's the reason why I'm running it
70 >> inside a Debian LXC container as well.
71 >
72 > And this runs on a gentoo server, with debian inside the LXC? Or on a debian
73 > machine with LXC?
74 Ok, so this is my *private* setup:
75 Single server box with gentoo on bare-metal, latest bleeding edge stuff.
76 Nginx on that Gentoo that serves some lightweight sites and webapps
77 (wordpress, roundcube, usual suspects). Nginx also terminates SSL.
78
79 I did not want to install gitlab on gentoo because of its tons of
80 dependencies. So I run a Debian LXC Container inside Gentoo. Nginx then
81 reverse-proxies and SSL-terminates the Gitlab LXC container and iptables
82 forwards the ssh port of the gitlab container.
83
84 Updating gitlab to the latest version just costs an apt-get upgrade and
85 a dozen updates later nothing exploded so far.
86 >
87 > Have you tried any VCS on a cluster (openstack/mesos/hadoop/others?
88 Nope, not my department.
89
90 Ralf
91 >