From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gitlab experiences
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 15:30:26
1 Ralf <ralf+gentoo <at> ramses-pyramidenbau.de> writes:
4 > > From the gentoo wiki, it looks like all of the dependencies are already
5 > > in portage::
6 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GitLab#Prerequisites.2FDependencies
9 > I recommend to deploy gitlab inside a Debian LXC/Docker container as
10 > Gitlab guys provide and maintain precompiled .deb packages. You do not
11 > want to compile it on your own as it comes with a load of dependencies.
12 > And once dependencies change you really might run into trouble with
13 > gentoo. Gitlab isn't just a tiny one-click-and-it-runs webservice, it's
14 > a whole ecosystem.
15
16 I wonder if using 'app-arch/dpkg' to just install the .deb files on gentoo
17 would work?
18 Issues with using dpkg to install gitlab on gentoo inside a VM/container ?
21 > For private use, I deployed my Gitlab inside a LXC container on my
22 > Gentoo server box, everything else is really way too much tinkering
23 > around. If you have no other problems in your life, just try it out and
24 > go for it.
25
26 Can you be more specific? Exactly which package(s) did you install this way?
27 Is debian inside that LXC, or just pure gentoo? Are you using CI with this
28 configuration?
31 > > Any experiences with gitlab are most welcome for comment, good or bad.
32 > Yes. Bad. Slow, unreactive, eats tons of resources. Doesn't scale with
33 > large repos (except you have unlimited access to hardware resources). A
34 > Linux kernel git mirror finally crashed it.
35
36 On a cluster would be my approach, after the installation issues are ironed
37 out on a single server install.
38
39 > That's why I decided to switch to Gogs [1], even for business cases.
40 > Gogs is implemented in Go, has a pretty active and responsive community
41 > and (in my opinion) it is a well-maintained project. Looks and feels
42 > like gitlab but is much faster and consumes a minimum of resources. I
43 > strongly recommend to use Gogs. Just try it out on their website.
44
45 Is this the gogs package you installed:: www-apps/gogs [1]
46 [1] "go-overlay" layman/go-overlay
47
48 Or did you just use a SaaS/PaaS for Gogs....?
51 > They also provide a .deb package, that's the reason why I'm running it
52 > inside a Debian LXC container as well.
53
54 And this runs on a gentoo server, with debian inside the LXC? Or on a debian
55 machine with LXC?
56
57 Have you tried any VCS on a cluster (openstack/mesos/hadoop/others?
58
59 curiously,
60 James