From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upside/downside to including config files in quickpkg?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:17:47
1 On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 12 February 2010 00:13:23 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> > One thing I haven't found so far is what to put in make.conf to get
4 >> > the buildpkg feature to include the configs. It's easy at the command
5 >> > line. Where's the documentation on how to actually use this the right
6 >> > way automatically?
7 >> >
8 >> >
9 >> >
10 >> > - Mark
11 >>
12 >> when you use buildpkg feature the packages contain the virgin unedited
13 >> configs  as they are installed by the package and not any edits done by
14 >> you.
15 >
16 > Just checking something:
17 >
18 > We are all aware of the difference between
19 >
20 > emerge --buildpkg
21 >
22 > and
23 >
24 > quickpkg
25 >
26 > right/
27 >
28 > --
29 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
30
31 Volker is. I am not sure I am and I'm not sure that Neil was talking
32 about quickpkg which is what I am using so far. The command
33
34 quickpkg --include-configs
35
36 says it includes the configs. That's what I thought we (you and I
37 Alan) were talking about.
38
39 On the other hand I presumed (apparently incorrectly) that the
40 FEATURES="buildpkg" (which is what I think Neil is speaking about)
41 gave me the same option but I now guess it doesn't.
42
43 If I need to use quickpkg to save the configs then I think I'll do
44 that being that as I simple-minded home user with no admin experience
45 I have no in-place rigorous methods for doing __any__ backups. I just
46 tar up directories once in awhile and deal with the problems that come
47 later. (If they come...when they come...they do come, don't they?) ;-)
48
49 - Mark