From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upside/downside to including config files in quickpkg?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 01:37:53
1 On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:39:48 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > Volker is. I am not sure I am and I'm not sure that Neil was talking
4 > about quickpkg which is what I am using so far. The command
5 >
6 > quickpkg --include-configs
7 >
8 > says it includes the configs. That's what I thought we (you and I
9 > Alan) were talking about.
10 >
11 > On the other hand I presumed (apparently incorrectly) that the
12 > FEATURES="buildpkg" (which is what I think Neil is speaking about)
13 > gave me the same option but I now guess it doesn't.
14
15 I was talking about the difference between quickpkg and buildpkg in
16 response to your statement "One thing I haven't found so far is what to
17 put in make.conf to get the buildpkg feature to include the configs."
18
19 So, yes, I was aware of the difference, and the reason why they behave
20 differently. Buildpkg has to work with the files before they are
21 installed, otherwise --buildpkgonly wouldn't work.
22
23 > If I need to use quickpkg to save the configs then I think I'll do
24 > that being that as I simple-minded home user with no admin experience
25 > I have no in-place rigorous methods for doing __any__ backups. I just
26 > tar up directories once in awhile and deal with the problems that come
27 > later. (If they come...when they come...they do come, don't they?) ;-)
28
29 What's wrong with a cron job to tar up /etc once per day? There are more
30 sophisticated solutions, but tar does the job and can save you much grief.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Hello, this is an extension to the famous signature virus, called spymail.
37 Could you please copy me into your signature and send back what you were
38 doing last night between 10pm and 3am?