From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:10:23
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 18 Jan 2010, at 21:50, James Ausmus wrote:
4 >>> Very recent buyers of Lenovo laptops don't even *have* a SysRq key
5 >>> anymore. I
6 >>> reckon it won't be long before other makers follow suit. I can see
7 >>> Lenovo's
8 >>> point: there's probably less than 10,000 people in the whole world
9 >>> that ever
10 >>> used that key in the last 12 months and all of them are very au fait
11 >>> with
12 >>> Linux
13 >>
14 >> Yuck - really? Not even as an unlabeled Alt function of a Print
15 >> Screen button?
16 >>
17 >> Sounds like a new kernel patch needs to be introduced, which allows
18 >> you to select an alternative to the SysRq key for the magic
19 >> commands... <sigh> Stupid HW manufacturers...
20 >
21 > To me, this sounds like rationalisation - in the "make more efficient
22 > by reorganizing it in such a way as to dispense with unnecessary
23 > personnel or equipment" sense - on behalf of hardware manufacturers.
24 >
25 > I would hate to do away with the numeric keypad myself, but at the
26 > same time I have to question how often I use it. When I look at the
27 > whole keyboard it seems crazy to have 102 or 105 keys in order to type
28 > 26 letters, 10 numbers and some punctuation.
29 >
30 > The function keys of regular keyboards are never used by the majority
31 > of people, and it has been this way for over a decade. Yet new
32 > keyboards require them because IBM keyboards had them in the 1980s.
33 > The authors of window managers map the "close window" shortcut to
34 > alt-F4 because the F4 key is there and is sure to be unused by
35 > anything else, but this function could easily be moved elsewhere if we
36 > got rid of the extra keyboard clutter.
37 >
38 > Stroller.
41 This is sort of funny in a way. I use the numeric keypad for numbers
42 about 90% of the time. The only time I use the numbers on the top row
43 are for things that are above the numbers. I also use the function keys
44 a LOT, a whole lot. I couldn't even imagine them not being there and
45 wouldn't buy a keyboard that didn't have the function keys or the
46 numeric keypad.
47
48 I hope some manufacturers don't shoot themselves in the foot while
49 removing keys. o_O
50
51 Dale
52