From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:33:21
1 On 18 Jan 2010, at 21:50, James Ausmus wrote:
2 >> Very recent buyers of Lenovo laptops don't even *have* a SysRq key
3 >> anymore. I
4 >> reckon it won't be long before other makers follow suit. I can see
5 >> Lenovo's
6 >> point: there's probably less than 10,000 people in the whole world
7 >> that ever
8 >> used that key in the last 12 months and all of them are very au
9 >> fait with
10 >> Linux
11 >
12 > Yuck - really? Not even as an unlabeled Alt function of a Print
13 > Screen button?
14 >
15 > Sounds like a new kernel patch needs to be introduced, which allows
16 > you to select an alternative to the SysRq key for the magic
17 > commands... <sigh> Stupid HW manufacturers...
18
19 To me, this sounds like rationalisation - in the "make more efficient
20 by reorganizing it in such a way as to dispense with unnecessary
21 personnel or equipment" sense - on behalf of hardware manufacturers.
22
23 I would hate to do away with the numeric keypad myself, but at the
24 same time I have to question how often I use it. When I look at the
25 whole keyboard it seems crazy to have 102 or 105 keys in order to type
26 26 letters, 10 numbers and some punctuation.
27
28 The function keys of regular keyboards are never used by the majority
29 of people, and it has been this way for over a decade. Yet new
30 keyboards require them because IBM keyboards had them in the 1980s.
31 The authors of window managers map the "close window" shortcut to alt-
32 F4 because the F4 key is there and is sure to be unused by anything
33 else, but this function could easily be moved elsewhere if we got rid
34 of the extra keyboard clutter.
35
36 Stroller.