From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:51:27
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 18 January 2010 23:04:56 James Ausmus wrote:
4 > > And this is why it is a Very Good Thing to spread the word about the
5 > Magic
7 > > the power button (which should send an ACPI shutdown signal, causing the
8 > > system to self-power-off)?
11 > Forgot to add this juicy bit to my last post:
12 >
13 > Very recent buyers of Lenovo laptops don't even *have* a SysRq key anymore.
14 > I
15 > reckon it won't be long before other makers follow suit. I can see Lenovo's
16 > point: there's probably less than 10,000 people in the whole world that
17 > ever
18 > used that key in the last 12 months and all of them are very au fait with
19 > Linux
22 Yuck - really? Not even as an unlabeled Alt function of a Print Screen
23 button?
24
25 Sounds like a new kernel patch needs to be introduced, which allows you to
26 select an alternative to the SysRq key for the magic commands... <sigh>
27 Stupid HW manufacturers...
28
29 -James