From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDEPIM-4.4.2015.06 blockages
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 16:51:28
1 Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I am updating an old machine which does not see much usage these days.
5 > I came across this blockage, which seems is caused by retaining the
6 > pre-Kmail2 KDEPIM version on this PC:
7
8 When upgrading old systems, always there are packages that cause problems
9 or the attic is missing the particular version your efforts call for, during
10 the transition, is my experience; ymmv.
11
12 > Is there a workaround for this, or does it mean time has arrived to
13 > decide whether I will be able to continue with Kmail1 and the old
14 > KDEPIM on this box, or not?
17 When I've updated older systems, I rarely pay close attention to the
18 details, except when the progress is halted or fails. What I've learned to
19 do is::
20
21 1. Make lists of all the software you have on the system (world file plus
22 others). Then check to see if it is still in portage or an overlay.
23
24 2. Save as many of the transient packages as practical, particularly those
25 not found in the attic, in a safe place (for me that under /usr/local/<whatver).
26
27 3. Remove as much software or the blocking packages as possible. The more
28 you remove the faster the update runs:: particularly useful if the systems
29 are out of date by 2 years or more.
30
31 4. Once the system is updated (@system +<whatever remains>) go to the list
32 or copy those lists of software back into the world file and bring the
33 system current.
36 Note:: the most common source of issues for me, as I've updated a dozen or
37 so over the years, is the contemporary (temporal) version of gcc. Also flags
38 come and go so keeping the flag settings in make.conf minimized also helps
39 streamline the process. A few times I changed the profile to default and
40 then changed it back between steps 3 & 4. Use distcc as much as practical
41 for your local network. And ' MAKEOPTS="-j1" ' sometimes gets
42 you past blockage for odd or long forgotten issues. If compiling on older
43 hardware for days at at time, monitor the temperatures of CPU and old HDs.
44 put and extra external fan on the old system to increase cooling. For my old
45 KDE systems, I just removed KDE* and when the system is current installed
46 lxqt or lxde; but that does not appear desirable, in your circumstance.
49 hth,
50 James