From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: AMD64, Firefox => Java Plugin?
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:21:40
1 On 2013-03-17, walt wrote:
2
3 > On 03/16/2013 06:15 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I am looking for a useable howto/tutorial which describes
7 >> howto install the java plugin for the current fireox.
8 >
9 > I see your question is already answered, but I'll add that there are
10 > a zillion open security bugs for java and many are actively being
11 > exploited in the wild recently.
12 >
13 > If you must use java in Firefox (as I do) then make sure that your
14 > version of Firefox is the latest one (19-something) because it will
15 > ask your permission before running any java applets. Firefox will
16 > allow you to override the warnings for selected websites so it won't
17 > become irritating at sites you trust.
18 >
19 > IIUC there are exploitable bugs in java7 that don't exist in java6,
20 > so I'm sticking to java6 for now, though 6 isn't perfect either.
21
22 Or use NoScript or some other extension that lets you block embedded
23 content by default, like some people have been doing for years now.
26 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
27 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/