From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 11:03:52
1 2016-09-01 12:01 GMT+03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
2 > On 01/09/2016 09:18, gevisz wrote:
3 >> 2016-09-01 9:13 GMT+03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
4 >>> On 01/09/2016 08:04, gevisz wrote:
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 >
8 >>>> Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
9 >>>> into smaller logical ones and why?
10 >>>
11 >>> The only reason to partition a drive is to get 2 or more
12 >>> smaller ones that differ somehow (size, inode ratio, mount options, etc)
13 >>>
14 >>> Go with no partition table by all means, but if you one day find you
15 >>> need one, you will have to copy all your data off, repartition, and copy
16 >>> your data back. If you are certain that will not happen (eg you will
17 >>> rather buy a second drive) then by all means dispense with partitions.
18 >>>
19 >>> They are after all nothing more than a Microsoft invention from the 80s
20 >>> so people could install UCSD Pascal next to MS-DOS
21 >>
22 >> I definitely will not need more than one mount point for this hard drive
23 >> but I do remember some arguments that partitioning a large hard drive
24 >> into smaller logical ones gives me more safety in case a file system
25 >> suddenly will get corrupted because in this case I will loose my data
26 >> only on one of the logical partitions and not on the whole drive.
27 >>
28 >> Is this argument still valid nowadays?
29 >
30 > That is the most stupid dumbass argument I've heard in weeks.
31 > It doesn't even deserve a response.
32 >
33 > Who the fuck is promoting this shit?
34
35 Even somebody in this thread (in addition to me and independent of me)
36 made the same arguments.
37
38 But I do not state anything, I am just asking.