From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PRNG is not seeded
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:31:04
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
4
5 > > Both the files /dev/random and /dev/urandom are missing in my system.
6 > >
7 > > How do i go ahead in fixing this issue
8 > >
9 > > Thanks and Regards
10 > >
11 > > Kaushal
12 >
13 > I just noticed this on mine. Do you have the service urandom in the
14 > boot runlevel?
15
16 Looking at the init script it seems like if the character
17 device /dev/urandom does not exist, it exits directly.
18
19 Does anyone know what exactly creates these device nodes and why it could
20 fail?
21 You could try to create them manually, but I doubt that this helps:
22 mknod /dev/random c 1 8
23 mknod /dev/urandom c 1 9
24
25 Kayshal, do you remember doing anything spoecial before this happened?
26 Booting a new kernel, updating things like hotplug / udev stuff?
27
28 Wonko
29 --
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list