From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any big gotcha's when update from several (5) mnths
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:05:34
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I caught just a hint of some kind of recent trouble when updating on
3 > this list a few days ago but lost track of the thread or message.
4 >
5 > I'd like to do update world and am some 4-5 mnths out of date right
6 > now.
7 >
8 > Am I likely to hit some horrible snag that has come up recently.
9 >
10 > PS - I'm already past the change from hda to sda
15 I agree with the other post about gcc but you should also update portage
16 shortly after that. The newer portage is able to handle more issues for
17 you and may save you some time. So, I would update gcc, portage then
18 give world a try. If it looks bad, try system first. That could
19 correct some things.
20
21 The only other gotcha I can think of is openrc/baselayout. Do NOT
22 reboot until you are sure your config files are updated. The only thing
23 I really had to change myself was my net file. Their script works well.
24
25 Anothet thing, I would just do a emerge -e qorld and call it a day. You
26 will have a few blockers, most openrc stuff, but those can be handled
27 quickly. Just make sure you don't have a power problem. ;-)
28
29 Dale
30