From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: package deletions
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 17:08:17
1 On 01/10/2016 02:19 PM, James wrote:
2 >
3 > I also found 'net-fs/tahoe-lafs' quite intriguing so I'm a wee bit
4 > uncertain as to why this one is not being pick up? I need to read
5 > up on it and test it a bit to learn more about tahoe-lafs.
8 > Best way forward? So for now I just copy the contents of
9 > /usr/portage/categroy/package into /usr/local/portage/category/package and
10 > include
11 > the relevant sources from /usr/portage/distfiles also under
12 > /usr/local/portage. Any other relevant file to grab up before hatchet time?
15 That's pretty much it assuming you have /usr/local/portage in $PORTDIR
16 or configured in /etc/portage/repos.conf.
17
18 When I was proxy-maintaining packages we were still using CVS, so the
19 only way to get something committed was to either email it to the proxy
20 maintainers or post a patch to a bug. These days it may be easier to
21 create a pull request on github, or submit the output of `git
22 format-patch`. That will preserve the authorship information from your
23 commits, and anything that makes the proxy committer's life easier means
24 a faster turn around time.
25
26 Until you feel comfortable with git, it's fine to open a bug. You can
27 assign it to yourself with proxy-maint@ in CC and someone should come
28 along to commit it soon enough.
29
30 The full process would look something like,
31
32 1. Open a bug, assigned to yourself, for e.g. "app-foo/bar: fix stuff"
33
34 2. Sync your portage tree.
35
36 3. Copy app-foo/bar into /usr/local/portage.
37
38 4. Make your changes.
39
40 5. Run `repoman full` and make sure there are no errors or warnings.
41
42 6. Attach the new ebuild or patch to the bug with a description of
43 what it does (the committer will need a commit message).
44
45 7. CC the proxy-maint project.
46
47 With github, you would instead `git pull` to sync the tree. Then after
48 your commits are made and repoman is happy, you would `git push` and
49 open a pull request. The github mirror admins can figure out that you're
50 the proxy maintainer and commit it for you or assign it to someone who can.