From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qustions re Dell M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drives under Gentoo
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 22:09:18
1 On 5/27/21 3:05 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > All current XPS models seem to have 256G or 512G M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid
3 > State drives in the base configuration. Questions...
4 >
5 > * do NVMe drives function well under Gentoo (driver issues, etc)?
6
7 I've not had any problems with them. They do show up as a different device:
8
9 /dev/nvme0n1p#
10
11 Where # is the partition number. I think /dev/nvme0 might be the first
12 NVMe controller as the only NVMe (card?) that I have is /dev/nvme0n1.
13
14 > * how long do they hold up (wear and tear)?
15
16 I've been using the inexpensive ~> cheap one that I have for more than
17 18 months. I'm using a partition on said NVMe as a cache for my ZFS
18 pool. I've not yet seen any symptoms of problems.
19
20 I will say, that you want to make sure the system has PCIe that's 3.0 or
21 better to take advantage of the full speed. -- My existing NVMe is in
22 a PCIe-16x slot to NVMe adapter card. It only uses 4x lanes, but the
23 other are physically occupied holding the card.
24
25 I'm building a new system, to replace the 5+ year old XPX w/ PCIe 2.0
26 that has the card and I'm replying from with a newer system with quite
27 similar, save for PCIe 3.0. The speed difference between the NVMe in
28 the systems is insane with the faster PCIe bus.
29
30 > * can I simply disable them if I run into problems?
31
32 That depends.
33
34 If they are used for part of the operating system, as in your boot /
35 root drive, then simply disabling them will be ... problematic. If
36 however, you are using it as a non-essential drive, or not using it at
37 all, then sure, you can disable it.
42 Grant. . . .
43 unix || die