From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: mount so that other users can write to mounted dir?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 23:28:42
1 On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 02:42:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2
3 > What filesystem is on that stick?
4 >
5 > For vfat and ntfs what you are truing should work. For Unix file
6 > systems (ext*, reiser, etc), it will not work. You cannot override
7 > owners and permissions with the mount command on those.
8
9 Thanks. That approach won't work in the general case. I'll probably
10 have to change the command in my "mdev rules" to something like...
11
12 sudo -u waltdnes pmount blah blah blah
13
14 ...where "waltdnes" is my regular user account. That'll also allow me
15 to unmount it with the pumount command from my regular account.
16
17 In the case of my backups to an external USB drive, I have to be root
18 anyways, so I'll just...
19
20 * plug in the external drive
21 * unmount it after the automount