From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Computer does not boot
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 05:42:36
1 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> [15-02-01 05:40]:
3 >> On 31 January 2015 18:50:19 CET, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>> Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> [15-01-31 18:12]:
5 >>>> After recent upgrade my computer doesn't want to boot. I did not do
6 >>>> anything with grub or kernel.
7 >>>> I get a bios flash and next is message:
8 >>>>
10 >>>> GRUB loading stage2
11 >>>>
12 >>>> and computer goes back reboot cycle, flash bios and the same massage
13 >>> is
14 >>>> displayed.
15 >>>> What went wrong during update?
16 >>>>
17 >>>> --
18 >>>> Joseph
19 >>>>
20 >>> Hi Joseph,
21 >>>
22 >>> may be only a accidental coincidence...
23 >>> One thing I can think of is an empty bios coin cell.
24 >> If that battery is flat, the bios will complain settings are gone.
25 >> Why would that cause grub to fail?
26 > Dont know the reason...I only experienced it several times...
27 >
28 > Regards
29 > Meino
33 I've had it happen to me once too. In my case, the BIOS just went back
34 to default settings. The only real change was the loss of the clock
35 setting but it didn't complain, it just booted. After I replaced the
36 battery, I went back and changed my settings to what I remembered them
37 being.
38
39 Since then, I change that battery every few years, while the system is
40 running so that I don't lose any settings at all. ;-) Be careful.
41
42 Dale
43