From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gaming kernel
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:15:52
1 071214 Shawn Haggett wrote:
2 >> CONFIG_HZ_100=y
3 >> # CONFIG_HZ_250 is not set
4 >> # CONFIG_HZ_300 is not set
5 >> # CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
6 >> CONFIG_HZ=100
7 > Smaller numbers here actually mean less clock interrupts per second.
8 > ie the CPU doesn't have to spend as much time switching between processes,
9 > but also a process will have to wait longer
10 > if another is currently using the CPU.
11 > Higher numbers tend to be good for getting faster responses,
12 > since the process on average shouldn't have to wait as long
13 > to actually get back on the CPU.
14 > 1000Hz for a really low latency desktop machine.
15
16 I don't play games, but I've long had my desktop box using HZ_1000
17 & it has always been very responsive (now Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.6.23-r3).
18 That's certainly the first thing to try.
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list