From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions for my first ebuild
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:08:23
1 On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >  I intend to get the Silicon Dust HDHomerun dual tuner box.
3
4 Walt,
5 I own an HDHR and it's been a great little box for the last couple
6 of years. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
7
8 That said watch out for what's happening to us. We're on the cable
9 giant Comcast's network and they are quickly moving toward removing
10 nearly all Clear QAM from their transmissions meaning we will be left
11 with very little that the HDHR can tune. Some people report on the
12 Myth lists that they are down to little more than OTA and cable access
13 channels. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I think the writing is on
14 the wall. More Comcast people are moving toward the cheap DTAs and
15 controlling them to change channels, but that's SDA only. HD requires
16 a STB.
17
18 What a mess!
19
20 Anyway, you might be in Europe or Canada or someplace with better
21 consumer protection laws than the U.S. Just be aware of what you might
22 be up against, and if it doesn't matter then enjoy the HDHR because
23 it's a great little product.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Mark