From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendation for a router/WAP
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 03:13:54
1 On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > I have a linksys wrt54G that is acting a little funny.
3 >
4 > Since my new laptop supports 1Gig wired ethernet and the wrt is 100Meg,
5 > I should upgrade even if the "funny" turns out to be just a config error
6 > on my laptop.
7 >
8 > This is a home system.
9 >
10 > My requirements are modest.
11 >
12 > 1.  >= 4 wired ethernet ports for systems/devices (at least 1 port 1Gig)
13 > 2.  Wireless access point 802.11 b/g (n would be nice; a ok)
14 > 3.  dhcp (with settable addresses see below*)
15 > 4.  Availability in U.S.
16 >
17 > * I am actually running the so-called "tomato firmware".  The std
18 > firmware did not let me set specific dhcp addresses for specific
19 > sources.  This is important to me.  My laptop is 192.168.1.70, one
20 > printer is .50, the other .55, two other laptops are .72, and .75.,
21 > Hence an /etc/hosts file lets each machine access the others by name
22 >
23 > My isp cablevision/optonline provides a modem with a wired ethernet
24 > port.  The router/wap should have an ethernet port (beyond the 4 above)
25 > to accept the modem output (I realize it is all bidirectional).
26 >
27 > Suggestions?
28 >
29 > thanks,
30 > allan gottlieb
34 I picked up a TP-LINK TL WA701ND a couple weeks ago from Newegg, for
35 $30USD. I'm very happy with it as a single-SSID AP, though I intend to
36 get it set up in multi-SSID mode. I have it plugged into a Debian box
37 which is acting as a router.
38
39 But you need a router. I haven't *tried* it, but despite what the spec
40 sheet says for the device, the firmware includes all the configuration
41 options for setting it up as a router. $30 for a wireless-N device is
42 pretty decent.
43
44 Regarding wireless throughput...You can't receive a packet you haven't
45 sent. I max out my 30Mb/s internet connection* when I hit speed tests.
46 I can comfortably play video on my laptop over ssh X11 forwarding.
47 Wireless N is very, very nice.
48
49 * I pay for 20Mb/s down, but generally get 27-33Mbs/ down.
50 --
51 :wq